Club news - 26th AugPosted by Spencer Park Admin on Sunday, 30 August 2015
- Spring is just around the corner so surf season is not far away. Each year we need each member to sign back up to the club. This data will then be compared to the new Surf Life Saving Database. Please click here and complete the form for each member. If you have any new members to the club they must complete the Surf Life Saving form as well which can be found here
- Club Committee Update. Key roles in the club this season have been filled. Daryl Poulsen is the new club president, Nicki Dunn - Sports Manager, Libby Watherston - Junior Coordinator, Chris Parker - Club Captain, Rachel Rowland - Treasurer, Renee Moore - Secretary. Other Committee members are Nikki Shaw, Jim Wellacot, Kaylene Hamilton
- The new SLSNZ calender is out with all of the regional and national events. Please click here
- Each year Rarangi Surf Club hold an annual event every Christchurch Show weekend. Rarangi is situated north of Blenheim. This event is a great casual event for all ages and it a great way to bond with fellow clubbies. Keep the weekend free. Further details to come.
First I wish to thank the committee for their commitment to our club.
We appreciate all the hard work the previous committee have put in over their years of involvement and hope they will still support our club in every way possible.
Please remember, if you have any questions, queries, complaints or compliments, we are happy to discuss them in person.
There is a big year ahead of us, with the building of the new clubhouse, lots of new lifeguards to be trained and existing life guards to be upskilled. Chris Parker has taken over the Club Captain role and will be contacting everyone who is eligible to train as a lifeguard. If you have not been contacted for some reason, we may not have your most recent telephone number, so please make contact via email to the club captain.
We are always looking for parent support at both coaching level and assisting at carnivals. If you would like to become involved, or you would like to join our fossil patrol team, as a lifeguard, please make contact with us.
If you have family, friends or neighbours who would like to join our club, please remember to tell them when our open day is. We do not have a definite date as yet, but it will be around the end of October. We welcome all existing and new members to our club. Please remember that adults are also welcome to join and become involved at competition level.
Club Captain/Life Saving
1. At this stage, the patrolling season is penciled in to start 21st November 2015. Even though it seems a long way off, there are a number of courses and events for Clubbies to participate in. I suggest that you stay up to date with the club newsletters and also have a look at the Local Activity Planner from Southern Region (http://www.surflifesaving.org.nz/clubhouse/training-room/local-activity-calendars/#LAC).
2. We have a number of people who have just begun training for their lifeguard award, with the aim of qualifying in November. If there is anyone still interested (or you know a friend who might be) in becoming a lifeguard for the upcoming season, then please get in contact with me ASAP to discuss (021 0575 685 or email@example.com). If there is anyone keen on helping to instruct, then please also contact either myself or Linda Poulsen.
3. We are once again low on qualified IRB drivers. This is a vital piece of lifesaving equipment and a fun thing to do. If you are over 16 and want to get your IRB Driver award, then please register your interest with either me or Jim Wellacott (IRB Manager) if you have not already done so.
4. Applications for the Regional Lifeguard Service and Beach Ed are now open. Apply with SLSNZ (http://www.surflifesaving.org.nz/organisation/about-us/slsnz-careers/summer-staff-positions/). This is a great opportunity to work as a surf lifeguard over the summer holidays, which is a real sweet gig! There are some pre-requisites, so have a read. Beach Ed applications are also open, and a great way to teach kids and spend time at the beach.
We need some people to help out with coaching swimming on Wednesday nights. If interested please chat to Dave or Nicki.
Gear Clean Up
Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th September 1-4pm each day we are having a gear clean up session at the club. Removing old wax etc and preparing gear for the new session. Please come down to the club and help out.
Official surf season training for the senior squad is going to start on 14th of September. Contact Dave for further information.
If anyone is interested in paddling canoe this season please contact Dave.
Please note some of the events will have selection criteria. Any questions please contact Dave 0274070779
Tasman Area Pool Champs for Under 10 through to Masters
Saturday 19th September
Grey Aquatic Centre, Greymouth
12pm - approx. 5pm
Contact Rachel Rowland 0274 063 997
White Island Race - Senior's Only
Saturday 24th October - Labour Weekend
5km Open water race around White Island starting at St Clair SLSC, Dunedin
Please discuss with Dave if interested.
Club Pool Champs - TBC
This year we are re running our club pool champs time and dates TBC
Eastern Region Senior Championships
Goal to have a hit out and use as a bench mark building towards nationalsSat 30 Jan - Sun 31 Jan
Mount Maunganui, Eastern - Bay of Plenty
Please contact Dave for draft budget and plan